D is for Dragon

D is for Dragon
Available Now at Lulu.com

Welcome to the Hearthside

The Hearthside is a blog for the writings of Nathaniel Hart. Check out the sample stories to the right. Check Below for updates on appearances, readings, and current work.

01 February 2013

Keeping the Fire: A Waltz for Three


Don't know what this is? Check out the Pages section to the right to learn more about the Keeping the Fire project. 

╩     32     ╩

The Dun Mages Guild had always had a special relationship with Fortress Edgar. The Fortress had to publicly malign the guild because of superstitions inherited from its Westin traditions and to show solidarity with the Flinish in the North who always accused the guild of picking winners in a dispute. At the same time certain parties, both Western and Eastern wished to clandestinely make use of Dun's great knowledge and powerful magics or “sciences,” as the Mages insisted on calling them. This meant that while the queen could be heard to utter oaths at the presence of Dun's representative the king would invite him back to court the very next day. The quarters given over to Dun were built within the Backbone, a pair of walls ten feet thick that separated the highest and second highest tiers of the Fortress. The wall formed the clearest divide between noble and common, but over the years, as space became a priority, sections of its fill were dug out and turned into royal holdings. It was also no coincidence that the Dun quarters were bordered by the playhouses on the noble side and the brothels on the common side. Publicly, it was a maligned place, privately, it allowed easy, unobserved access for those that would rather not be seen courting the Mage's wisdom. Polena would not have had a fear be seen visiting Mage Alembic, yet, she had other reasons to hide her coming.

She dressed in traveler's clothing, to a casual observer nothing more than a Tenbrae trader seeking to buy salt for next year's winter now when the price was cheapest. The long overcoat that helped make the disguise was a Thovae woven of reeds. It itched terribly and she was happy to throw it off when Mage Alembic finally met her. She had not expected Dun's quarters to be so austere. Indeed, the confines reminded her of the Archives; the bare stone walls, tight, windowless rooms, and constant smell of fallen dust barely hidden behind a guise of curtains and incense. Clearly Alembic was curious why she had come to visit, yet, he made her bring it up.

“You haven’t asked me why I came yet.”

“Oh, was I supposed to? Forgive me, I just thought you were trying to look more like a Westin native. Your recent company made me think so.”

“Ah, you noticed that I have been to see the Djaught?”

“I expect everyone has,” Alembic said, his handsome face graced by that enigmatic smile designed to make others around him feel stupid, “and I also expect that is intentional, just like your coming to me in disguise,” he paused a moment, and when Polena only smiled he continued, hiding a tinge of frustration, “well, what is the game then?”

“You know that I am meeting with Delhey the Whale?”

“I do now,” he said, the frustration more apparent, though she sensed, not directed at her, “and Tavya both? I believe neither likes the other.”

“Nor do they like you. Which is perfect. I have been having interesting words with the Djaught and I want to know who is watching me do so. Do you think that you could look into that for me?”

“I am afraid that Dun does not get involved in such matters...” Alembic started, but Polena cut him off.

“...Because I would hate to ask them for the same assistance when I could ask Coralm's friend. I want to find out who killed him, who seeks to harm me, and why this Weatherclock would be interested in either of those things. The Djaught will give me a clear answer of why Fiedjan might want to bring war and if they mean to make it against our Alliance, as Coralm believed. The other players in this though I cannot guess. Be the Creace to my need Mage Alembic, I know you have spies. Either that, or Dun is more foolish than their teachers had led me to believe.” Alembic smiled, as if he had just watched a juggler's trick and was wondering at how it was done.

“What ever makes you think that I have spies? I am alone up here.” He said. Polena sighed deeply.

“Which is all the more reason to have them. All I ask is that you watch Delhay the Whale and Minister Tavya, and if not them, then have your vassals watch their vassals. They are probably doing so already.”

Alembic continued the haughty smile, betraying nothing for a long moment. Then he feigned a short chuckle.

“You are quick to learn.”

“That is what they told me at the Dun academy in Meeda, though I always preferred the People's History to their books.” Dun's academies were the most expensive yet, so the mages claimed, also highest quality of schooling one could hope to get. That she had merited one and found a way to pay its fees, something the Church would not do for her, clearly held sway with Alembic.

“Alright. I will put someone on it. Bought you off then has he, this Djaught?” Polena had prepared for this moment longer than anything else. She knew that anyone like Alembic would be an excellent reader of lies. She had practiced her reply for the better part of an hour in the mirror. On top of that, as she sensed the question coming had started doing sums in her head so that her voice would seem distracted and dispassionate, an old trick her mentor taught her.

“Oh, he hasn't said much. You will be the first to know when he does,” then, not wanting him to catch her with a silence she continued, “though I am expected at the Archives to meet him. I am afraid this visit has taken longer than I expected. I should end it.”

“Yes, that sounds about right,” Alembic replied, cryptically, “I expect I can find you at your quarters?”

“Or if not, a runner can find me elsewhere. I am looking into taking on staff at the People's quarters soon, Coralm kept none.”

“That was wise of him, in a way.”

“Maybe so, but I practice a different diplomacy than him.”

“Yes,” nodded Alembic, “I see that. Let me take you out the back way, you can go along the Painted-Lady's-Perch, down through Spring-Walk, and straight on to the Archives. That way is not watched.”

“My thanks,” Polena replied, and took her leave. She hurried her steps through the darkened streets full of the musk of sweet and sickly smells that only an alley full of brothels could produce. She took the way Alembic had suggested knowing full well it would be one that he had spies watching. She needed him to know she really went there. Knowing that she was meeting Tavya, instead of the Djaught, would be the secret she kept from him. And after she made the Minister of the Keepings the same offer as Alembic and received her promise of aid she would head next to Delhey for a third copy of the bargain.

“You have my trust,” she would say, “watch the others spies for me, and see how they react.” Three dancers made to do the same dance. Now she would be free to make her own moves and await the rewards of the waltz she had crafted. She would have to fight hardest just to keep from smiling at the very thought of the havoc.


╩      ╩

No comments:

Post a Comment