D is for Dragon

D is for Dragon
Available Now at Lulu.com

Welcome to the Hearthside

The Hearthside is a blog for the writings of Nathaniel Hart. Check out the sample stories to the right. Check Below for updates on appearances, readings, and current work.

03 February 2013

Keeping the Fire: Letters Home 2


Don't know what this is? Check out the Pages section to the right to learn more about the Keeping the Fire project. 

╩      34     ╩

My Dearest Denza,

Your mother has been very busy. The People's work at home requires many things, and Luminaries might help out by overseeing the building of bridges, teaching the People, be they soldiers or farmers, or simply keeping the spirits of the People high and focused on their collective good. In Fortress Edgar I must do quite different things, but they all come down to talking. I must make bargains, seek new friends and strengthen old ones, and be certain that the kings and tyrants know to fear the People while at the same time showing the common folk how much better their lives might be. Always remember, my little one, that you can do all of these things the same way. You do them with honey, not with poison. Make people want you. Make them need you. Let them know that you can help them, but always, always let them know how happy you are no matter how you really feel. A smile is stronger than anger and can stave off any weight of tears.

I heard from your letter sent on the last day of harvest week that you are learning the story of the Thresholds, those who were the Indivisible's eight companions and gave great guidance to the People. You were named for Denza, who broke the chains. I am sure that is your favorite part of the story where she shatters the links of iron that imprison the People with the same maul she was given to labor for the prison masters. The sparks flying, the chain shattering and ringing out in the night, the prisoners coming together as one to crash down the gates and the prison masters fleeing in fright before them. Ah, it is my favorite part too. But when you are older, perhaps you will see the true act of courage in that story. It is not that Denza breaks then chains. It is when first she comes to Genwith, the Indivisible, and says “I wish to know more about the People.” her greatest courage comes when she admits that she is ignorant and then chooses to suffer in labor for years to grow wise. Please don't forget this my child, even if it will take you years to understand it.

When ever someone takes a Step earnestly everyone keeps something, The humble ever Value a long lost yearning. 

I sent you a letter already talking about how I had become the Speaker for the People's Alliance at the Fortress in addition to remaining a Luminary. Well, now I have a third duty as well. I am to be the Poet of the Hin-Hani. Ask Luminary Elmar to show you the runes for it. They are very beautiful, and now, when I look at them I will think of you reading them and that will make them prettier still. The Poet of the Hin-Hani Writings is expected to deliver any poem that should be required for a ceremony or event in the Fortress, specifically the poems of Fiedjan or the “hin” meaning pure, or true, or highest poems. They are always given forewarning for the important events, but should the king have need for them, want to hear a poem, or want help in composing one the Poet must be willing to meet with him at any time, even privately should the king feel the poem is particularly intimate. It is an important task, and one that I hope to learn a lot from.

That task comes with a second duty as well. I am to go into the Dehali valley and assist in finding a tomb. This is not a marker or grave like our People have, but a great hump of earth tunnel through with clay and stone where a body is placed with great pomp, into a casket. Often they surround them with treasures and precious things. It is a crime that even in death the Domineerists seek to keep their wealth from the People. I will help a Djaught of Fiedjan find this place and I think once he does he will leave. Then, perhaps, things will calm down here and I will be closer to coming home to see you for a visit. Please write to me of your mother Ulma, even if you only hear from her in passing. It would make me glad. I love you my dearest child. Stay strong and keep ahead in your studies, but not too far ahead.

To my dearest Denza, who broke the chains upon my heart,

-Polena
╩          ╩

No comments:

Post a Comment