D is for Dragon

D is for Dragon
Available Now at Lulu.com

Welcome to the Hearthside

The Hearthside is a blog for the writings of Nathaniel Hart. Check out the sample stories to the right. Check Below for updates on appearances, readings, and current work.

20 January 2013

Keeping the Fire: An Unannounced Visit


Don't know what this is? Check out the Pages section to the right to learn more about the Keeping the Fire project. 

╩     20     ╩

The glean of light upon the crux was what drew her notice at first. A fine pewter crux with a center of polished blue quartzite had been set on Coralm's doorway, and it was only by a reflection of light upon that center that Polena realized both that the door was open and that someone had a light burning within. She approached the door very slowly, listening to the sound of gently shuffling papers, barely audible over the growl of a small fire in the hearth. She looked carefully and silently through the open threshold only find a man in the Knight Luminary's room. We wore robes of fine spun, yet lightly adorned purple with a complicated crest of shaped metal on his chest. He bore a small well groomed beard that matched the roguish play of his hair and handsome, if albeit, wan figure. He was standing at Coralm's writing lectern and openly looking though a pile of his private documents with casual interest. Though she had been all but silent as she peered into the room the man looked up at once at her, but went back to his task as if he were doing no wrong.

“You ought to have been here sooner. Didn't you hear my knocking?”

“No, who are you? Be out of here at once!” In truth she had heard knocking earlier that day but had spent much of it on her balcony and had expected her callers to go away.

“As for who I am, the robe should tell you some of it. As for why I am here I think that to would be obvious. Why you haven't gone through Coralm's letters yet is what's it what confounds me.”

“You're a Dun mage,” Polena said with clear frustration, “and while the People appreciate Dun's assistance in our works I seem to remember your tower wanting to keep itself independent, perhaps I should say “mercenary” rather than act as full partner with us. So if you please mage...”

“Alembic. We have met, though I suppose you would not remember with everyone else you have had to learn here. I am Speaker for the Dun Mage Guild here and looking into anything so inharmonious as an assassination attempt is good for business. That is where we are now.” He made eye contact for the first time with a wry smile that could not help but frustrate, then turned back to the papers. “My turn. Why haven't you looked through these Polena? Don't you think Coralm had some portent of this, some warning?” All the while Alembic never ceased reading the paper in his hands. It was as if the act was secondary to him, as natural someone walking while they talked. Polena came closer into the room and stood by the lectern. Alembics manner disarmed her. She had no context for an unabashed spy and had not decided yet whether she should flee the room or snatch the papers from him. Clearly getting angry at him was not going to make him go away. So she considered.

“Dun is closer ally, or should I say, better merchant to the Alliance than it is to anywhere else.”

“We offer our knowledge to all nations, but largely that is true,” Alembic retorted.

“You would be perceived as an Easterner here and likely shut out from business with Flin. Therefore, Coralm would have been your ally, if not publicly at least privately. You would have been to this room many times and would know where to find his important things.”

“True again. Bring it around and finish it.”

“And since you have not seen any sign of me you suspect that I do not care to know who would want him dead. Therefore you have come here to see if there is any hint in his papers and how I react to finding you here will determine if you can trust me or not.”

“Excellent. Now let's talk about what you know.”

“I'm not finished yet. You also set up this little scene in your head so as to make me feel dwarfed by your intellect, make me default to your lead, and perhaps get me to spill any secrets I do have to you. You are trying to make me feel stupid so that you will seem wise.”

Alembic stopped reading and looked up to her.

“That is where we are.” replied Polena smiling herself. Alembic nodded, though whether that came from appreciation of her intelligence or acknowledgment that his trick was not working Polena did not know.

“Perhaps we have started this wrong,” he said

“Yes you have.”

“Perhaps you would like me to give you deference in your Comae's quarters.”

“Yes I would.”

“So I will. Coralm was an ally of mine, though one of convenience. We had a game where publicly we seemed to hate each other but privately we would meet for Thrones and a sack of wine. Both of these were well known facts. The real truth Polena is that I didn't like Coralm. But instability in the Fortress is something that Dun will not permit. This place is supposed to be a viper's nest but it is supposed to be a productive one. Great works are done when there is constant balance. Wealth is produced by an ordered tumult while great waste comes from chaos. Coralm knew these things, and so he worked towards harmony. ”

“Please do not talk about him like he is dead.”

“Perhaps you should start planning as if he was. He isn't getting any better Polena.” Alembic stood as if about to say something more but Polena stopped him.”

“That is enough Mage. If you want to help me by all means do so. The healers would appreciate your council and you art. Don't tell me what to do and don't think I am going to tell you anything.”

Another smile and nod from Alembic, another expression she could not read.

“Very well. You have my apologies and you will have me gone.”

“I should like that.”

“But please, if I can ask as a beggar rather than as a charlatan, do you know who attacked Coralm?”

“They were not,” replied Polena, “They were trying to kill me. They missed.” Alembic met her eyes, but did not respond. Then, offering her his hand in the sign of leave taking, a hand she did not take, he turned for the door. Suddenly he turned back as if he could not hold his tongue.

“Consider just two things. Firstly what you would do if you were to be the representative of the People's Alliance here Polena. Should Coralm die I think they would be apt to send someone militaristic to replace him. War is coming and I would rather see a scholar talking than a soldier.”

“I will consider it Mage.”

“And second, what would you have done if I was not waiting here to bait you into conversation.”

“What?”

“The Knight Luminary's sword is sitting in it's scabbard by his bed side. He certainly didn't wear it in court but he always kept it near. Is there a reason you don't? Considering all the people that could have been in this room in my place?”

The thought sent a sudden chill through Polena, one she tried to hide from him.

“Thank you. That will be all for tonight. When next we speak it will be I coming to you.”

Alembic made to ascent, but choosing to make some play of her words covered his mouth, bowed, and left all with that damnable smile. Polena stood a long while after he had left staring first and the door and then at Coralm's gladius, a fine and serviceable blade that managed to be elegant without looking gaudy. The gleaming of the fire on it's hilt brought out the shape, much like that of the crux on the door way. She slept in Coralm's room that night and the next morning she went out seeking the lady Tavya for answers. But the blade she left on the table.
╩    ╩

No comments:

Post a Comment